With the latest Odoo 17 release with us, is now the right time for your business to upgrade? Based on our 14 years of experience with Odoo ERP and migrations, simple and complex, ranging from V6 to V16, let's unpack the essentials of version upgrades to ensure your transition is as smooth and strategic as possible.
Should I upgrade now?
Odoo 17 is available via Odoo Online and Odoo.sh platforms. While the upgrade scripts are ready for testing, the stable release for on-premise and Odoo.sh clients are on the horizon, slated for January 2024. We generally recommend our clients consider migrating to a new Odoo version at least three to four months after its release to allow time for Odoo to resolve potential bugs and issues.
What if I have 3rd party modules or customisations?
It is highly recommended to hold off upgrading until V17 compatible versions are released to avoid breaking your set up or delays in the migration process.
How does the timeline and costs look like?
Anticipate a minimum of 50-80 hours for basic upgrades. Transition costs to Odoo 17 will vary, including the size of your organisation, the modules you utilise, and the extent of customisations. Complex customisations will extend timelines, potentially stretching from one to three months, as there will be a need to conduct a meticulous code review against Odoo 17’s upgraded features and framework.
The new version of any third-party Odoo apps will also need to be repurchased and installed, which adds to the overall costs. WilldooIT generally checks all third-party apps before installation, and often small changes will be made for either functional or security reasons.
What are the key steps to upgrade?
The Odoo 17 upgrade process involves six key steps:
- Running upgrade scripts: execution of upgrade scripts on your database.
- Initial launch: prepare for potential hiccups during first attempts – a normal part of the process. May encounter issues such as launch failures, partial functionality, or happily, a successful operation!
- Issue reporting and script refinement: issues are reported and addressed by Odoo, with updates on scripts being part of an ongoing process that may take additional time.
- Subsequent launch efforts: with each script refinement, new launch attempts are scheduled, ideally during off-peak hours to minimise business disruption.
- Workflow validation: a successful launch is followed by thorough workflow testing to ensure every operation runs like clockwork.
- Training: Typically, additional training is required due to changes in each new Odoo version, often involving extensive communication with your Odoo integrator to ensure confidence in use of the new version’s functionality and features.
Is upgrading to every new Odoo version necessary?
Upgrading to a new Odoo version is a substantial undertaking, consuming time and resources. We recommend considering an upgrade once every two to three years, although it should be assessed on a case-by-case basis. In some instances, annual upgrades may be justifiable.
Ready to take the leap?
As you consider upgrading, it is crucial to have a clear roadmap and a knowledgeable partner to guide you through the complexities. Gaining a clear understanding of the migration process and associated costs is the first step. Contact us today for a complimentary strategy session to discuss a possible V17 upgrade for your business.